Sunday, July 20, 2014

Palette Profile: Urban Decay's Naked 2 Palette


The Stats
Brand: Urban Decay
Name: Naked 2
Contents: 12 Shadows; 3 matte shades and 9 shimmery shades with varying amounts of glitter. Double ended brush with a flat side and a fluffy blending side.
Available From: BeautyBay
Price: AUD$80.60

The Breakdown


You guys all know the Urban Decay Naked palettes are gorgeous, it is a well-established fact. I'm not going to tell you any different; the quality of this palette is amazing, you can tell from the swatches below that the shadows are pigmented, buttery and beautifully coloured. But as with many Urban Decay shadows, there can be some issues with fallout although I will say that it doesn't seem to be as much of an problem as it is with the original Naked palette.


 I'm not going to go through each shade individually, as there is tonnes of reviews and blogposts about this palette but I'll talk a bit about a few of the shades. In the pan, the standout shadow for me is YDK, a gorgeous rose gold metallic shade. Even when swatched it is extremely eye catching but because of its slight foil finish it is a difficult one to pull off and finding a colour to match with it is a challenge.

In my opinion the main issue with this palette is that it lacks lighter shades that work as an all-over lid colour for a subtle look. Yes there is Foxy and Booty Call but they're more highlight shades rather than lid colours. The first half of the palette is very warm leaning with the second half being far cooler. Again, I think this maybe takes away from making the palette cohesive as a whole. 


As you can see, there are some definitely very similar shades between the first two naked palettes. I love Taupe from Naked 2 as a crease shade although it does go on much darker than it looks in the pan. I think that the Naked 2 palette is more capable of creating night time appropriate looks as it is definitely slightly cooler in tone than the first Naked palette.

The Look

Verve on the inner two thirds of the lid, Busted on the outer third and onto the lower lash line with Suspect blended through the crease and Foxy as a brow bone highlight. This combination was suggested to me by my lovely friend Jess who actually loaned me the palette to try it out, to see if I wanted to purchase it myself. This look is super pretty and the shadows blend gorgeously.

The Verdict

My experience with this palette is limited as I only got to test it out for a little while, but from this I can say that it is what you would expect - amazing quality shadows. I'd have to say that in general I prefer the original Naked palette but this could come down to the fact that I've had a lot more time to put together looks from the first palette. I would love to have more of a play with Naked 2. 

Wil I be buying this palette? Not right away but one day I'd love to own all three of the Naked palettes (I already own the first). This palette is really pretty and the colours are similar but also extremely different to the first palette which I think is important when a company is putting out a sequel. Urban Decay definitely improved on the issues with glittery fallout that the first Naked palette had, it can still be a problem but it's easily combatted with a little makeup remover or by powdering the under eye area prior to application. If you're looking for a palette that creates flawless night time looks this might just be the one for you.

xx
talk soon

No comments:

Post a Comment